Billing the Council for My Recycling Work

Billing the Council for My Recycling Work

Postby musashi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Having heard Somerset council say that they have no powers to force people to follow recycling 'rules', I was faced with the blank I-don't-understand-look when I said that the labourer is worthy of his hire. The look only intensified when I explained that work done should be paid for. I got nowhere slowly with her. Ignorance defeats knowledge every time, I conceded. Another blank look.

The point is this: if you want me to work for a recycling company then I should be paid. You tell me that I must recycle (and thereby save labour costs to help recycling companies make a profit). When do I get paid my share of the profits? If I did the work then I want to get paid. Who do I bill? The council or the recycling company?
The blank look intensified.
I invested time, effort, the cost of the water, the cost of electricity to heat the water, the depreciation of my water heater through the extra repeated use of the heater, cleaning materials, having to schedule my life to get the stuff out on time and on the right day, bring in the emptied boxes (get moaned at by arrogant rubbish men) and then clean and maintain the boxes and use up my personal space which I pay rent for to store them and so on. How about we enter a contract? I'll write it up and send it to you.
At this point the intensified blank look changed to the panicky puzzled look and so I went on to explain that the minimum wage in Britain is

Year 25 and over 21 to 24 18 to 20 Under 18 Apprentice
April 2018
£7.83 £7.38 £5.90 £4.20 £3.70

Workers are also entitled to the correct minimum wage if they’re:
part-time
casual labourers, for example someone hired for one day
agency workers
workers and homeworkers paid by the number of items they make
apprentices
trainees, workers on probation
disabled workers
agricultural workers
foreign workers
seafarers
offshore workers
So, I bill you with a proper itemised invoice for work done, overheads such as rent, utilities, labour and so on – and I realise that some of this might be an estimate, so if you ever think I've wrongly overcharged you occasionally, you let me know and I'll investigate the matter in due course and, if you are correct, we'll just knock it off the next bill because my company policy, like some others, says never to return cash money overcharged. In line with current legislation we can negotiate with the minimum wage as a baseline. What do you say?

Musashi.
It's still fucked, isn't it?
musashi

Return to General chat